Thursday, April 2, 2009

Bad Bad Tanning Beds

Nowadays, some girls have an extreme infatuation with tanning beds. A lot of guys have even started to show an interest in artificial tanning. I have always been knowledgable of the skin cancers risks. Every year more then 1 millions people are diagnosed with skin cancer. I never thought it necessary to where eye protection in the tanning beds because I've always been pretty good about keeping my eyes closed. They never hurt or felt strained while I was in the tanning bed. Studies show that in a tanning bed your eyes are exposed to 100 times more ultraviolet radiation then if you were out in the natural sun. This can lead to corneal burns, cataracts and in some rare instances retinal damage. Something else I didn't no was that certain medications you take can increase your sensitivity to light. For example, antibiotics, high blood-pressure medications, tranquilizers, diuretics, some birth control pills, and oral diabetes medications.

http://www.hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q676.html
http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/azhealthtopics/a/tanboothworthit.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment